By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Pew PatriotsPew PatriotsPew Patriots
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Reading: WWII Memorial in Washington closed for five months
Share
Font ResizerAa
Pew PatriotsPew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
WWII Memorial in Washington closed for five months
Tactical

WWII Memorial in Washington closed for five months

Jimmie Dempsey
Last updated: January 12, 2026 6:18 pm
Jimmie Dempsey Published January 12, 2026
Share
SHARE

The National World War II Memorial in Washington, dedicated to the 16 million members of the U.S. military, will be closed for the next five months, the National Park Service said last week.

The agency said the closure is set to address “aging infrastructure, improve reliability, and enhance the appearance of the memorial.” Construction to modernize the fountains and lighting at the site is also planned.

Dedicated on Memorial Day weekend in 2004, the memorial stands at the heart of the National Mall and draws millions of visitors yearly.

Designed by Austrian immigrant Friedrich St. Florian, the memorial, a bronze and granite monument featuring facing semicircles of 56 pillars decorated with bronze wreaths and punctuated by two triumphal arches, was initially criticized.

While some said it fit well into the space on the Mall, others called it banal or evocative of fascist dictatorships, according to The New York Times.

Some critics even went as far as comparing it to the work of Hitler’s favorite architect, Albert Speer.

St. Florian, who grew up under Nazi rule as a child, pushed back.

“Wars must be remembered, not glorified,” he said.

“There is absolutely nothing imperial about this design,” he told The New York Times in 2000.

“The architecture is most appropriate, in the classical language. We did not want to go back and copy but to be interpreters,” he said.

The updates to the memorial follow President Donald Trump’s March executive order, “Making the District of Columbia Safe and Beautiful,” saying the capital’s “monuments, museums, and buildings should reflect and inspire awe and appreciation for our Nation’s strength, greatness, and heritage.”

The memorial is to reopen by May 15, in time for Memorial Day.

Claire Barrett is an editor and military history correspondent for Military Times. She is also a World War II researcher with an unparalleled affinity for Sir Winston Churchill and Michigan football.

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

Trump orders blockade of ‘sanctioned oil tankers’ into Venezuela

Sore throat? Tricare Prime now offers virtual option for urgent care

US, partner nations sink two decommissioned ships during Exercise Balikatan

Lawmakers push to expand gun rights on Army Corps of Engineers-run lands

Stop Searching! These Are the Only 9mm Pistols You’ll Ever Need!

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We Recommend
Minimalist Almeris En Route from Civivi
Guns and Gear

Minimalist Almeris En Route from Civivi

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 20, 2026
Iran Warns Will Take The War “Beyond The Region” If Trump Restarts Attacks
Ella Langley’s behind-the-scenes ACM Awards video has fans ‘crying all over again’ after record-breaking night
Services ask defense secretary for exceptions to lax flu vaccine policy
Iowa State AD says he doesn’t care if SEC, Big Ten leave other P4 Conferences behind: ‘Let them break away’
Michael Bay slated to direct film on rescue of F-15 crew in Iran
Outrageous disrespect: Spurs shouldn’t be big underdogs against Thunder in Game 2
News

Outrageous disrespect: Spurs shouldn’t be big underdogs against Thunder in Game 2

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 20, 2026
The Ebola Outbreak is More Concerning Than The Hantavirus
Prepping & Survival

The Ebola Outbreak is More Concerning Than The Hantavirus

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 20, 2026
DNA cracks 40-year cold case mystery with arrest in library worker’s savage slaying: police
News

DNA cracks 40-year cold case mystery with arrest in library worker’s savage slaying: police

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 20, 2026
Pew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
  • Guns and Gear
2024 © Pew Patriots. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?