By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Pew PatriotsPew PatriotsPew Patriots
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Reading: The Navy’s largest ship continues to be plagued by plumbing issues
Share
Font ResizerAa
Pew PatriotsPew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
The Navy’s largest ship continues to be plagued by plumbing issues
Tactical

The Navy’s largest ship continues to be plagued by plumbing issues

Jimmie Dempsey
Last updated: January 22, 2026 9:39 pm
Jimmie Dempsey Published January 22, 2026
Share
SHARE

The world’s largest aircraft carrier is experiencing difficulties with a service that is an integral part of every sailor’s life — the bathroom.

The USS Gerald R. Ford, which cost roughly $13 billion to manufacture and most recently played a part in U.S. strikes against Venezuela that saw the capture of its sitting President Nicolás Maduro, is facing consistent plumbing issues with the nearly 650 toilets aboard the vessel.

The complications primarily involve the Ford’s vacuum collection, holding and transfer system, or VCHT, which transports and disposes wastewater by sucking fecal matter through pipes using pressure.

The issues, however, have had no effect on operational readiness or mission execution, according to Lt. Cmdr. David Carter, a spokesperson for U.S. Fleet Forces Command.

The problems were also typically isolated incidents that didn’t wreak havoc on the rest of the sewage system, Carter said.

“A repair takes, on average, between 30 minutes and two hours,” Carter said. “During this time, the rest of the system continues to operate independently.”

RELATED

Carter also said that the maintenance demands have decreased as the deployment has gone on and that system improvements are coming down the pike, as maintenance availabilities arise.

While Carter said the Ford couldn’t see service call logs regarding maintenance requests for outside assistance, NPR published a report that said the Ford had called for assistance with the lackluster toilets 42 times since 2023, with 32 calls coming in 2025 alone.

A dozen specifically came after the Ford left Naval Station Norfolk on June 24, 2025, and began its regularly scheduled deployment, which eventually shifted to the U.S. Southern Command area of operations, NPR reported.

NPR also reportedly obtained copies of emails that showed there were 205 breakdowns with the toilets over a span of four days.

One of the emails placed the onus on sailors and said they were mistreating and destroying the sewage system.

Carter confirmed to Military Times in an emailed statement that the Ford averaged about one maintenance call per day and that those calls were often the result of “improper materials being introduced to the system.”

Military Times requested further information on what those improper materials were.

The bathroom issues aboard the Ford, meanwhile, are not a new phenomenon.

A 2020 Government Accountability Office report pointed out that the sewage pipes woven throughout the ship were too narrow to properly serve the flushes of the 4,000-plus crew members onboard.

To unclog the toilets, the Navy has been forced to spend $400,000 per flush of a unique acidic chemical designed to flush out and unburden the strained pipes.

Riley Ceder is a reporter at Military Times, where he covers breaking news, criminal justice, investigations, and cyber. He previously worked as an investigative practicum student at The Washington Post, where he contributed to the Abused by the Badge investigation.

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

Military spouses head to the Hill, push for removal of barriers to small businesses to boost retention

First Look: Tippmann Arms Integrally Suppressed Firearms

US Marine designs Corps’ first NDAA-compliant 3D-printed drone

7 NEW Rifles Announced for 2026!

US expected to send thousands of soldiers to Middle East, sources say

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We Recommend
Record number of climbers summit Mount Everest from Nepali side despite overcrowding concerns
News

Record number of climbers summit Mount Everest from Nepali side despite overcrowding concerns

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 21, 2026
Amid rising military suicides, services can’t tell if prevention training is effective
We Are Being Conditioned For A “Big Reveal” About UFOs And Aliens
Sunny Hostin backs NAACP call for Black athletes to boycott public universities over redistricting
Disgusting trolls attack Hulk Hogan’s daughter for starting emotional post about dad with a bikini picture
Award-winning chef says popular retailer has elite beef at bargain prices
Sen Blackburn says sports betting hearing likely first of ‘several’ as Congress weighs federal action
News

Sen Blackburn says sports betting hearing likely first of ‘several’ as Congress weighs federal action

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 21, 2026
Brooklyn mother who drowned her three children in the ocean near Coney Island sentenced to decades in prison
News

Brooklyn mother who drowned her three children in the ocean near Coney Island sentenced to decades in prison

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 21, 2026
Colorado Democrats formally censure Gov Polis over Tina Peters commutation
News

Colorado Democrats formally censure Gov Polis over Tina Peters commutation

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 21, 2026
Pew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
  • Guns and Gear
2024 © Pew Patriots. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?