By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Pew PatriotsPew PatriotsPew Patriots
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Reading: DC Guard shooting suspect stares down death penalty in first court appearance
Share
Font ResizerAa
Pew PatriotsPew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
DC Guard shooting suspect stares down death penalty in first court appearance
News

DC Guard shooting suspect stares down death penalty in first court appearance

Jimmie Dempsey
Last updated: June 17, 2026 2:39 am
Jimmie Dempsey Published June 17, 2026
Share
SHARE

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The Afghan national accused of carrying out a deadly ambush-style shooting targeting National Guard members near the White House pleaded not guilty Tuesday to all charges in a 17-count federal superseding indictment.

Just hours earlier, the Department of Justice (DOJ) unsealed the indictment against Rahmanullah Lakanwal, 30, who previously worked for the CIA in Afghanistan. Lakanwal is accused of killing West Virginia National Guard Specialist Sarah Beckstrom and severely wounding Guardsman Andrew Wolfe in last November’s attack.

Prosecutors said the charges, which include first-degree murder, make the case eligible for the death penalty.

“Sarah Beckstrom was 20 years old, serving her country in the nation’s capital, when Rahmanullah Lakanwal allegedly drove across the country and executed her in cold blood steps from the White House,” U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro said. “That is not just a crime, it is a major offense against the United States. We will pursue every penalty the law permits as we seek justice for Sarah Beckstrom and Andrew Wolfe.”

AFGHAN NATIONAL ACCUSED IN DEADLY DC NATIONAL GUARD SHOOTING PLEADS NOT GUILTY, PROSECUTORS SEEK DEATH PENALTY

During Tuesday’s arraignment, the suspect was seen wearing an orange prison jumpsuit and skullcap and remained in a wheelchair, as he appears to recover from injuries prosecutors say he sustained during the incident.

DOJ prosecutors told U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta that they will begin the death penalty review process shortly. 

The final decision on whether to pursue capital punishment will be made by Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche.

Lakanwal remains charged with first-degree murder while armed, assault with intent to kill while armed, and two counts of possession of a firearm during a crime of violence.

Mehta set the next status hearing for Sept. 16.

Photos of Sarah Beckstrom and Andrew Wolfe above a memorial with flowers and American flags outside Farragut West Station

ALLEGED NATIONAL GUARD SHOOTER WORKED WITH US GOVERNMENT ENTITIES IN AFGHANISTAN, INCLUDING CIA: RATCLIFFE

According to court documents, Lakanwal allegedly drove his Toyota Prius from his home in Bellingham, Washington, to the District of Columbia while in possession of a stolen firearm. 

Prosecutors said he opened fire on West Virginia National Guard members, striking Beckstrom and Wolfe in the head. Two nearby National Guard members then subdued Lakanwal at the scene, officials said. 

A member of the National Guard stands near the White House in Washington, D.C.

Investigators reportedly recovered a .357 Smith & Wesson revolver that had been reported stolen in Seattle in 2023.

Officials said Beckstrom died from her injuries on Thanksgiving, while Wolfe continues to recover from his injuries.

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

Kentucky football mourns Nic Smith after defensive lineman found dead on campus

Massive fire destroys University of South Florida laboratory building: ‘Total loss’

Robot learns to dismantle broken machines

Norway World Cup team switches hotels in Florida after noise complaints: ‘We must move’

NASCAR’s Truck Series and O’Reilly Autoparts Series honor Kyle Busch with moments of silence at Charlotte

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We Recommend

LIZ PEEK: Hasan Piker exposes Democrats’ desperation to win back young men

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 18, 2026
Illegal immigrant learns fate after using stolen identity to vote in US elections for decades
Shocking Facts About the DEADLY of .45 ACP – What They Don’t Tell You!
Appeals court rules Trump admin unlawfully appointed Nevada’s top federal prosecutor
Newly released data shows which American cities have the most passionate fanbases in the NFL
DOJ opens probe into prestigious college over alleged discrimination favoring minority students
Guns and Gear

First Look: 1911 DS Prodigy 3.5” AOS 9mm

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 18, 2026
News

Stephen A Smith goes off on national Black journalists organization after ‘personal hit job’ against him

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 18, 2026
News

One of world’s oldest orca whales found with possible shotgun wounds as officials launch investigation

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 18, 2026
Pew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
  • Guns and Gear
2024 © Pew Patriots. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?