By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Pew PatriotsPew PatriotsPew Patriots
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Reading: Cultural groups ask federal judge to halt Trump’s renovations of Kennedy Center
Share
Font ResizerAa
Pew PatriotsPew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Cultural groups ask federal judge to halt Trump’s renovations of Kennedy Center
News

Cultural groups ask federal judge to halt Trump’s renovations of Kennedy Center

Jimmie Dempsey
Last updated: April 30, 2026 8:23 am
Jimmie Dempsey Published April 30, 2026
Share
SHARE

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

A group of cultural and historic preservation groups on Wednesday called on a federal judge to block President Donald Trump from making major renovations to The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, which has undergone significant changes since the president returned to office last year.

The groups asked U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper to issue a preliminary injunction to prevent any construction ahead of the scheduled July 6 project launch, saying they worry the president and the center’s board of trustees will ignore historic preservation rules that aim to maintain the building.

Attorney Greg Werkheiser said after the hearing that the laws that govern the process “go to the very fundamental question of: Do we slow down and take stock before we make changes to properties that define the American experience?”

Justice Department attorneys, representing the president and board, argued that the administration’s plans for the building are limited in scope and well within the authority of the board as they claimed extra approvals were not needed.

TRUMP KENNEDY CENTER’S BOARD VOTES UNANIMOUSLY TO APPROVE $257M RENOVATIONS AND TWO-YEAR CLOSURE

After returning to the White House, Trump ousted the center’s previous leadership and replaced it with a handpicked board of allies who named him chairman, a move that sparked backlash from many artists. Trump’s name was also later added to the building’s facade so that it reads: “The Donald J. Trump and The John F. Kennedy Memorial Center for the Performing Arts.”

Trump announced the scheduled renovations for the center earlier this year.

The hearing on Wednesday came after a separate one the day before regarding the future of the center.

Rep. Joyce Beatty, D-Ohio, has also filed a lawsuit to stop renovations as an ex officio member of the board, and Cooper is also overseeing that case.

The center’s executive director, Matt Floca, a former facilities manager who was bumped up to the Trump-selected board, testified that the scheduled renovations are simply to repair decades of wear and tear, including extensive water damage to a part of the building that was nicknamed “the swamp.”

Kennedy Center in undated photo

“The most efficient and effective way to complete the magnitude of projects we need to complete is to close the center,” Floca said.

Attorneys for the preservation groups questioned claims about the limited scope of the project, citing Trump’s statements that he would “fully expose” the building’s steel skeleton.

Justice Department attorney Yaakov Roth said those concerns have been blown out of proportion.

“There’s no risk that there will be unilateral changes … that we’ll wake up and the building will be gone,” Roth said.

TRUMP KENNEDY CENTER’S NEW LEADER REVEALED AS RIC GRENELL EXITS TOP ROLE

President Donald Trump stands in the presidential box as he tours the John F. Kennedy Center.

The lawsuits regarding the Kennedy Center’s fate come amid other fights against Trump’s efforts to change historical landmarks in the nation’s capital.

Since he returned to office last year, Trump has frustrated preservationists, including by paving over the White House’s Rose Garden. Last year, the White House tore down its East Wing to make room for the president’s proposed $400 million ballroom, although construction of the ballroom has been halted by a judge as litigation continues.

Trump also has plans to erect a 250-foot “triumphal arch” to commemorate the nation’s 250th anniversary.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

Cameraman gets caught risking it all to film World Cup’s ‘sexiest fan’ in the Formula 1 paddock

North Korea updates constitution to require automatic nuclear strike if Kim Jong Un is assassinated: report

Most talked-about diet trends of 2025 — and how they reshaped Americans’ eating habits

ICE launches ‘largest immigration operation ever’ in Minneapolis, acting director says

Judge orders ex-NFL player Darron Lee held without bond as prosecutors weigh death penalty

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We Recommend
Record number of climbers summit Mount Everest from Nepali side despite overcrowding concerns
News

Record number of climbers summit Mount Everest from Nepali side despite overcrowding concerns

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 21, 2026
Amid rising military suicides, services can’t tell if prevention training is effective
We Are Being Conditioned For A “Big Reveal” About UFOs And Aliens
Sunny Hostin backs NAACP call for Black athletes to boycott public universities over redistricting
Disgusting trolls attack Hulk Hogan’s daughter for starting emotional post about dad with a bikini picture
Award-winning chef says popular retailer has elite beef at bargain prices
Sen Blackburn says sports betting hearing likely first of ‘several’ as Congress weighs federal action
News

Sen Blackburn says sports betting hearing likely first of ‘several’ as Congress weighs federal action

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 21, 2026
Brooklyn mother who drowned her three children in the ocean near Coney Island sentenced to decades in prison
News

Brooklyn mother who drowned her three children in the ocean near Coney Island sentenced to decades in prison

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 21, 2026
Colorado Democrats formally censure Gov Polis over Tina Peters commutation
News

Colorado Democrats formally censure Gov Polis over Tina Peters commutation

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 21, 2026
Pew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
  • Guns and Gear
2024 © Pew Patriots. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?