By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Pew PatriotsPew PatriotsPew Patriots
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Reading: Iryna Zarutska’s family files wrongful death lawsuit alleging no security guard was on train
Share
Font ResizerAa
Pew PatriotsPew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

Iryna Zarutska’s family files wrongful death lawsuit alleging no security guard was on train

Jimmie Dempsey
Last updated: August 21, 2026 10:15 pm
Jimmie Dempsey Published August 21, 2026
Share
SHARE

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The family of Iryna Zarutska is suing the city of Charlotte, North Carolina, and its private transit security contractor one year after her murder shocked the nation. The suit alleges “systemic failures” left the city’s light-rail system dangerously vulnerable.

“This case arises from the preventable death of Iryna Zarutska,” states the wrongful-death complaint filed against the City of Charlotte and Professional Police Services Inc., doing business as Professional Security Services, or PSS. The allegations have not been adjudicated.

“What it shows is the systemic failures that have been within the CATS system for years that the city has been aware of,” Lauren Newton, an attorney representing Zarutska’s family and estate, previously told WBTV.

CHARLOTTE TRAIN STABBING SUSPECT DODGES POTENTIAL DEATH PENALTY FOR NOW AFTER HE’S RULED INCOMPETENT

The lawsuit alleges no security guard was aboard the Lynx Blue Line train, when Zarutska was fatally stabbed on Aug. 22, 2025, and accuses PSS of failing to adequately staff and deploy armed and unarmed personnel.

Charlotte’s amended contract with PSS provided funding for 219 security personnel for fiscal years 2025 and 2026, according to the complaint, which alleges PSS had hired 183 at the time of Zarutska’s killing. The lawsuit further alleges PSS had only 11 armed guards despite the contract providing for up to 39 armed personnel.

TRUMP ADMINISTRATION LAUNCHES FEDERAL INVESTIGATION INTO ATLANTA’S MARTA SYSTEM AFTER FATAL TRAIN STABBING

Booking photo of Decarlos Brown

“They weren’t fully staffed,” Newton told WBTV. “If there had been a security guard on that train, Iryna Zarutska would be here.” Her assertion that a guard would have prevented Zarutska’s death has not been established in court.

The complaint also takes aim at fare enforcement, alleging Zarutska’s accused killer, Decarlos Brown Jr., rode CATS transportation without paying before the attack. It alleges there were no physical barriers preventing non-ticketed riders from accessing the light rail.

“There’s been literally no fare enforcement and those things, at a basic level, are what’s necessary for safety. And there’s been none of that,” Newton told WBTV.

MAN FACING FEDERAL CHARGES AFTER ATLANTA TRAIN PASSENGER STABBED ABOUT 20 TIMES, FBI INVESTIGATING

Aerial view of downtown Charlotte skyline under clear skies.

The lawsuit alleges Charlotte and PSS knew or should have known about the Blue Line and its stops had repeatedly been the site of criminal activity before Zarutska’s death. “Violent crime was absolutely foreseeable,” Newton told WBTV.

The estate brings claims including wrongful death based on allegedly negligent and inadequate security and gross negligence. It seeks damages exceeding $25,000 and punitive damages against PSS, but not against Charlotte.

WBTV previously reported that Charlotte said it does not comment on active litigation and that PSS had not responded to its request for comment.

“The family doesn’t want this to happen to anyone else’s loved one,” Newton previously told WBTV.

Fox News Digital separately reached out to Charlotte, PSS and Newton for comment but did not receive immediate responses.

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

Michigan candidate Abdul El-Sayed dodges when pressed on controversial remarks about death of Khameini

WNBA suspends Alyssa Thomas for ‘recklessly’ hitting Caitlin Clark in throat during scramble

US flag football team stunned by American Samoa in shocking first loss in 14 years

This Rifle Gets Shot For The First Time Possibly Since The Civil War

CENTCOM commander directed strike against an IRGC headquarters in underground facility: sources

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We Recommend

Mavericks buy out Klay Thompson’s contract, NBA champion set to join Giannis Antetokounmpo in Miami: report

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 22, 2026
Ravens’ Rashod Bateman faces domestic charges for alleged attack on car carrying ex-girlfriend and their baby
Late-night bull run ends with a little cowboy know-how on busy California highway
Iryna Zarutska’s family files wrongful death lawsuit alleging no security guard was on train
Two US Army Corps of Engineers employees among 8 killed in Alaska charter plane crash
Brittany Mahomes hits the gym and stuns fans, more WNBA drama & 16-year-old girl pummels middle school player
Some military barracks ‘chronically neglected’ due to 5 billion in maintenance backlogs, GAO finds
Tactical

Some military barracks ‘chronically neglected’ due to $285 billion in maintenance backlogs, GAO finds

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 21, 2026
News

Americans warned of kidnapping, extortion as violent crime grips parts of tourist spot

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 21, 2026
Is This the Cheapest AR Ever Made?
NewsVideos

Is This the Cheapest AR Ever Made?

hickok45 hickok45 August 21, 2026
Pew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
  • Guns and Gear
2024 © Pew Patriots. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?