By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Pew PatriotsPew PatriotsPew Patriots
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Reading: US tells Europe, Canada to boost NATO air and naval forces
Share
Font ResizerAa
Pew PatriotsPew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
US tells Europe, Canada to boost NATO air and naval forces
Tactical

US tells Europe, Canada to boost NATO air and naval forces

Jimmie Dempsey
Last updated: June 3, 2026 4:09 pm
Jimmie Dempsey Published June 3, 2026
Share
SHARE

BRUSSELS — The U.S. expects European NATO allies and Canada to swiftly increase the number of manned and unmanned aircraft and ships they contribute to the alliance’s defense plans as Washington steps back in these areas, a top U.S. general said on Wednesday.

The statement by U.S. Air Force General Alexus Grynkewich, NATO’s top commander and the head of U.S. forces in Europe, followed a decision by the Trump administration to shrink the pool of U.S. military capabilities available to NATO in a crisis.

U.S. President Donald Trump has repeatedly criticized NATO and told its European members they will have to take over primary responsibility for the conventional defense of the continent.

The U.S. told allies last month of its decision to reduce its contribution to a framework known as the NATO Force Model, which includes a pool of forces that could be activated during a crisis. But it did not publicly disclose any details.

Grynkewich’s statement, issued after a meeting of NATO military planners on Wednesday, was the first public indication of what areas the U.S. plans to cut first and where it expects allies to step in.

Manned and unmanned aircraft and naval vessels are two areas where Canada and European allies “can step up now and in the near term – as the United States reduces forces ‘sourced’ to the NATO Force Model in Europe and refocuses them elsewhere,” he said.

U.S. Air Force Gen. Alexus G. Grynkewich, Supreme Allied Commander Europe (SACEUR), speaks during a press conference at NATO Headquarters on May 19, 2026, in Brussels, Belgium. (Omar Havana/Getty Images)

“There has been an unhealthy co-dependence in the NATO Force Model on U.S. forces,” Grynkewich said in his written statement. “President (Donald) Trump, (Defense) Secretary (Pete) Hegseth and others have been clear that this needs to change, and it will change. The potential reality of simultaneous conflict in multiple theaters demands it.”

NATO expects no gaps

The NATO alliance is under unprecedented strain, with some European countries concerned that Washington may withdraw outright. A major adjustment to the forces the U.S. would make available during wartime will only intensify those concerns.

A spokesperson for NATO’s military headquarters, U.S. Army Col. Martin O’Donnell, said the areas mentioned by Grynkewich were “where allies already have or soon will have sufficient capabilities, meaning no defence gaps are expected to emerge.”

“Nations just need to assign the capabilities they have to NATO,” he added.

O’Donnell declined to elaborate on when Grynkewich expected allied nations, whose leaders will meet at a NATO summit in Ankara in July, to have replaced the U.S. capabilities.

The number of U.S. fighter jets available to NATO is set to fall by a third, and the U.S. will also make fewer U.S. destroyers and no U.S. submarines available as part of the crisis pool, according to a report last week by German news outlet Spiegel.

Europe will also be forced to provide its own reconnaissance drones, while the U.S. plans to significantly scale back the provision of armed models, the report added.

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

US defense stocks see no Iran war lift after early surge

The US military measures readiness. What about adaptability?

Coast Guard selects Alabama as site of second recruit training center

US Army fires Tomahawk missile from new Typhon launcher during Philippines drill

US strikes $58.6 billion Patriot missile deal amid rising stockpile concerns

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We Recommend

LIZ PEEK: Hasan Piker exposes Democrats’ desperation to win back young men

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 18, 2026
Illegal immigrant learns fate after using stolen identity to vote in US elections for decades
Shocking Facts About the DEADLY of .45 ACP – What They Don’t Tell You!
Appeals court rules Trump admin unlawfully appointed Nevada’s top federal prosecutor
Newly released data shows which American cities have the most passionate fanbases in the NFL
DOJ opens probe into prestigious college over alleged discrimination favoring minority students
Guns and Gear

First Look: 1911 DS Prodigy 3.5” AOS 9mm

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 18, 2026
News

Stephen A Smith goes off on national Black journalists organization after ‘personal hit job’ against him

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 18, 2026
News

One of world’s oldest orca whales found with possible shotgun wounds as officials launch investigation

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 18, 2026
Pew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
  • Guns and Gear
2024 © Pew Patriots. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?