By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Pew PatriotsPew PatriotsPew Patriots
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Reading: San Antonio ends its abortion travel fund after new state law, legal action
Share
Font ResizerAa
Pew PatriotsPew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
San Antonio ends its abortion travel fund after new state law, legal action
News

San Antonio ends its abortion travel fund after new state law, legal action

Jimmie Dempsey
Last updated: January 12, 2026 7:16 am
Jimmie Dempsey Published January 12, 2026
Share
SHARE

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

San Antonio has shut down its out-of-state abortion travel fund after a new Texas law that prohibits the use of public funds to cover abortions and a lawsuit from the state challenging the city’s fund.

City Council members last year approved $100,000 for its Reproductive Justice Fund to support abortion-related travel, prompting Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton to sue over allegations that the city was “transparently attempting to undermine and subvert Texas law and public policy.”

Paxton claimed victory in the lawsuit on Friday after the case was dismissed without a finding for either side.

WYOMING SUPREME COURT RULES LAWS RESTRICTING ABORTION VIOLATE STATE CONSTITUTION

“Texas respects the sanctity of unborn life, and I will always do everything in my power to prevent radicals from manipulating the system to murder innocent babies,” Paxton said in a statement. “It is illegal for cities to fund abortion tourism with taxpayer funds. San Antonio’s unlawful attempt to cover the travel and other expenses for out-of-state abortions has now officially been defeated.”

But San Antonio’s city attorney argued that the city did nothing wrong and pushed back on Paxton’s claim that the state won the lawsuit.

“This litigation was both initiated and abandoned by the State of Texas,” the San Antonio city attorney’s office said in a statement to The Texas Tribune. “In other words, the City did not drop any claims; the State of Texas, through the Texas Office of the Attorney General, dropped its claims.”

Paxton

Paxton’s lawsuit argued that the travel fund violates the gift clause of the Texas Constitution. The state’s 15th Court of Appeals sided with Paxton and granted a temporary injunction in June to block the city from disbursing the fund while the case moved forward.

Gov. Greg Abbott in August signed into law Senate Bill 33, which bans the use of public money to fund “logistical support” for abortion. The law also allows Texas residents to file a civil suit if they believe a city violated the law.

“The City believed the law, prior to the passage of SB 33, allowed the uses of the fund for out-of-state abortion travel that were discussed publicly,” the city attorney’s office said in its statement. “After SB 33 became law and no longer allowed those uses, the City did not proceed with the procurement of those specific uses—consistent with its intent all along that it would follow the law.”

TRUMP URGES GOP TO BE ‘FLEXIBLE’ ON HYDE AMENDMENT, IGNITING BACKLASH FROM PRO-LIFE ALLIES

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott arrives at press conference

The broader Reproductive Justice Fund remains, but it is restricted to non-abortion services such as home pregnancy tests, emergency contraception and STI testing.

The city of Austin also shut down its abortion travel fund after the law was signed. Austin had allocated $400,000 to its Reproductive Healthcare Logistics Fund in 2024 to help women traveling to other states for an abortion with funding for travel, food and lodging.

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

California AG sues hospital that ended gender transition treatment for minors to comply with Trump policies

Democrat governor and mayor booed at Red Sox home opener

Iranian supreme leader blames Trump for increasingly intense demonstrations

Chaotic video shows passengers trading midair blows; plane forced to divert: reports

Hollywood legend Rob Reiner and wife Michele found dead and more top headlines

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We Recommend
Services ask defense secretary for exceptions to lax flu vaccine policy
Tactical

Services ask defense secretary for exceptions to lax flu vaccine policy

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 20, 2026
Iowa State AD says he doesn’t care if SEC, Big Ten leave other P4 Conferences behind: ‘Let them break away’
Michael Bay slated to direct film on rescue of F-15 crew in Iran
Outrageous disrespect: Spurs shouldn’t be big underdogs against Thunder in Game 2
The Ebola Outbreak is More Concerning Than The Hantavirus
DNA cracks 40-year cold case mystery with arrest in library worker’s savage slaying: police
‘Always push forward’: President Trump addresses Coast Guard Academy Class of 2026
Tactical

‘Always push forward’: President Trump addresses Coast Guard Academy Class of 2026

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 20, 2026
Jon Stewart downplays late-night bias, insists Trump obsession is just a ‘portion’ of Colbert’s ‘joy machine’
News

Jon Stewart downplays late-night bias, insists Trump obsession is just a ‘portion’ of Colbert’s ‘joy machine’

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 20, 2026
US Marines board and redirect Iranian-flagged tanker amid ongoing blockade
Tactical

US Marines board and redirect Iranian-flagged tanker amid ongoing blockade

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 20, 2026
Pew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
  • Guns and Gear
2024 © Pew Patriots. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?