By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Pew PatriotsPew PatriotsPew Patriots
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Reading: Pentagon cuts Brigade Combat Teams in Europe as Trump pressures NATO on spending
Share
Font ResizerAa
Pew PatriotsPew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Pentagon cuts Brigade Combat Teams in Europe as Trump pressures NATO on spending
News

Pentagon cuts Brigade Combat Teams in Europe as Trump pressures NATO on spending

Jimmie Dempsey
Last updated: May 20, 2026 1:21 am
Jimmie Dempsey Published May 20, 2026
Share
SHARE

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The Pentagon announced Tuesday it is reducing the number of Brigade Combat Teams (BCTs) stationed in Europe from four to three as the Trump administration presses NATO allies to increase defense spending.

The decision comes after President Donald Trump repeatedly said European countries should contribute more to their own defense while relying less on the United States. It also follows the Pentagon’s recent decision to halt a planned rotation of roughly 4,000 U.S. troops to Poland.

While the War Department did not specify the number of troops affected, a BCT typically consists of about 4,400 to 4,700 soldiers. Officials said the move would return troop levels in Europe to those seen in 2021.

“This decision was the result of a comprehensive, multilayered process focused on U.S. force posture in Europe,” the Pentagon said in a statement.

TRUMP TROOP CUTS IN EUROPE COULD BE BLOCKED BY CONGRESS — HERE’S HOW HE MIGHT GET AROUND IT

The department said the move would temporarily delay the deployment of U.S. forces to Poland, which it described as “a model U.S. ally.”

“The Department will determine the final disposition of these and other U.S. forces in Europe based on further analysis of U.S. strategic and operational requirements, as well as our allies’ own ability to contribute forces toward Europe’s defense,” the statement said.

“This analysis is designed to advance President Trump’s America First agenda in Europe and other theaters, including by incentivizing and enabling our NATO allies to take primary responsibility for Europe’s conventional defense,” it added.

POLAND CALLS ON US TO PLACE NUKES WITHIN ITS BORDERS AMID RUSSIA THREAT

President Donald Trump speaking aboard Air Force One with War Secretary Pete Hegseth standing nearby

War Secretary Pete Hegseth spoke Tuesday with Polish Deputy Prime Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz, the Pentagon said, adding that the U.S. would remain in close contact with Polish officials throughout the review process.

“Poland has shown both the ability and resolve to defend itself,” the department said. “Other NATO allies should follow suit.”

The announcement came after Reuters reported Tuesday that the Trump administration plans to inform NATO allies this week that the United States would reduce the military capabilities available to support Europe during a major conflict, citing sources familiar with the matter.

EUROPEAN LEADERS ON EDGE AS PROSPECT LOOMS OF TRUMP PULLING 20K TROOPS FROM CONTINENT

The move also comes days after the Pentagon halted a planned rotation of approximately 4,000 U.S. Army troops to Poland, sparking concern in Warsaw and criticism from U.S. lawmakers.

The affected unit, the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, had been scheduled to deploy to Poland and other eastern flank positions as part of a routine nine-month NATO rotation.

Around 10,000 U.S. troops are typically stationed in Poland, most serving on rotational deployments lasting several months. Because the American military presence in Poland relies heavily on those rotations, the halted deployment raised concerns among Polish officials.

POLISH GOVERNMENT PLANS MANDATORY MILITARY TRAINING FOR ADULT MEN

President Donald Trump speaking with NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte at a meeting

Poland’s deputy defense minister said Warsaw plans to press U.S. officials in the coming days over the Pentagon’s decision.

“We will ask questions and I guess that we will get answers,” Polish Deputy Defense Minister Paweł Zalewski previously told Fox News Digital in an interview ahead of meetings in Washington with Pentagon officials and members of Congress.

Pete Hegseth seated in the Oval Office during a meeting

Polish officials have continued describing the country as a “model ally” within NATO and said they expect military cooperation with the United States to continue expanding.

Fox News Digital’s Efrat Lachter and Morgan Phillips contributed to this report.

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

Joy Reid floats theory WHCA Dinner shooting could have been staged, tied to Trump’s ballroom push

European nation votes to cap population at 10M in major immigration crackdown referendum

Explosion at metal fabricating plant leaves at least 4 people injured in Pennsylvania

Michelle Obama is ‘absolutely correct’ saying America not ready for a woman president, Dem lawmaker says

Beloved millionaire Maine philanthropist shot dead in ritzy DC suburb assisted living home, no arrests made

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We Recommend
Three stabbed at crowded Rhode Island beach as hundreds of teens pack area, police say
News

Three stabbed at crowded Rhode Island beach as hundreds of teens pack area, police say

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 20, 2026
After 7 years, Space Force’s first paratrooper takes to the skies
Pentagon cuts Brigade Combat Teams in Europe as Trump pressures NATO on spending
War in pieces: Air Force wants special ops plane that can be built on the fly
Jason Kidd fired months after signing lucrative deal as Masai Ujiri demands ‘new direction’ for Mavericks
Toilet issues on USS Gerald R. Ford are ‘highly exaggerated,’ says CNO
The Ebola Scare Begins: The Worst Outbreak Of Bundibugyo Virus Disease In World History
Prepping & Survival

The Ebola Scare Begins: The Worst Outbreak Of Bundibugyo Virus Disease In World History

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 19, 2026
Former WWE NXT UK star Rohan Raja talks journey to pro wrestling, surprising reaction he got from his family
News

Former WWE NXT UK star Rohan Raja talks journey to pro wrestling, surprising reaction he got from his family

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 19, 2026
US plans to shrink forces available to NATO during crises, sources say
Tactical

US plans to shrink forces available to NATO during crises, sources say

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 19, 2026
Pew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
  • Guns and Gear
2024 © Pew Patriots. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?