By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Pew PatriotsPew PatriotsPew Patriots
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Reading: Italy turns away Middle East-bound US military aircraft from Sicily stopover
Share
Font ResizerAa
Pew PatriotsPew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Italy turns away Middle East-bound US military aircraft from Sicily stopover
Tactical

Italy turns away Middle East-bound US military aircraft from Sicily stopover

Jimmie Dempsey
Last updated: March 31, 2026 5:07 pm
Jimmie Dempsey Published March 31, 2026
Share
SHARE

ROME — U.S. military aircraft heading from the United States to the Middle East have been refused permission to stop off at an air base in Italy, an Italian government source has told Defense News.

The request to land at Sigonella air base in Sicily was issued to Italian authorities after the aircraft had already taken off from the U.S., Italian daily Corriere della Sera reported on Tuesday.

Italy has a longstanding deal with the U.S. to allow it to use Sigonella for regular military flights, while permission for use of the base by flights not covered by the agreement must be granted by the Italian parliament.

In a speech to parliament this month, Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said, “The bases used by the U.S. in Italy derive from agreements signed in 1954 and which have been updated since then by various governments. According to those agreements there are technical authorizations when it comes to logistics and non-kinetic operations that do not involve, put simply, bombing.”

She added that for any other kind of use of bases, “it depends on parliament.”

Since permission to land was requested by the U.S. after the jets took off from the United States, there was no time for such authorization to be obtained, the source said.

A statement issued by Meloni’s office on Tuesday said, “Every request is examined attentively, case by case, as has always happened in the past. There are no crises or frictions with international partners. Relations with the U.S., specifically, are solid and characterized by full and loyal cooperation.”

The refusal does however come in the wake of growing unease over the Iran war in the Italian government led by Meloni, who has previously positioned herself as a faithful ally to American President Donald Trump in Europe.

Meloni is playing a balancing act since she is keen not to alienate the majority of Italian voters who oppose the Iran war.

“We are not at war and we do not want to enter the war,” Meloni told Italy’s parliament earlier this month. She has also called the U.S. attack on Iran “outside the perimeter of international law.”

Spain has previously denied use of its bases to U.S. jets heading to Iran, incurring the anger of President Trump, who threatened to cut trade with Spain.

On Monday, Spain went further, closing its airspace to U.S. aircraft involved in the Iran war.

“Neither the bases are authorized, nor, of course, is the use of Spanish airspace authorized for any actions related to the war in Iran,” Spanish Defense Minister Margarita Robles said, adding the war was ”profoundly illegal and profoundly unjust.”

Tom Kington is the Italy correspondent for Defense News.

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

Airman found dead in off-base South Carolina residence

Sailors aboard USS Gerald R. Ford reportedly lost their beds amid fire

US and Italian soldiers earn German military badge in joint Italy training

Bondi’s DOJ Just Declared War on Gun Owners. No Cap.

7 Crazy Cool New Firearms You’ll Regret Not Trying This 2025

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We Recommend
Dana White says gnats at Trump’s White House Rose Garden dinner raised concerns for outdoor UFC events
News

Dana White says gnats at Trump’s White House Rose Garden dinner raised concerns for outdoor UFC events

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 19, 2026
Pete Crow-Armstrong apologizes for vulgar response to fan during Cubs’ loss: ‘Regret my choice of words’
Hegseth mulls benefits fix for veterans exposed to radiation at A-bomb test site
High school athlete slams CIF’s shared podium rule as humiliating response that fails female competitors
Hegseth campaigns for congressional race, breaking with Pentagon neutrality
Millie Bobby Brown stuns in yellow bikini as fans spot clue about daughter’s name
ISIS leader killed in Africa as US commander raises force reduction concerns
Tactical

ISIS leader killed in Africa as US commander raises force reduction concerns

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 18, 2026
The Lines We Thought Machines Wouldn’t Cross
Prepping & Survival

The Lines We Thought Machines Wouldn’t Cross

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 18, 2026
Amazon announces search for next James Bond is underway, as Hollywood casting choices come under scrutiny
News

Amazon announces search for next James Bond is underway, as Hollywood casting choices come under scrutiny

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey May 18, 2026
Pew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
  • Guns and Gear
2024 © Pew Patriots. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?