By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Pew PatriotsPew PatriotsPew Patriots
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Reading: Hegseth aims to cut Kelly’s retirement pay over lawful orders video
Share
Font ResizerAa
Pew PatriotsPew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Hegseth aims to cut Kelly’s retirement pay over lawful orders video
Tactical

Hegseth aims to cut Kelly’s retirement pay over lawful orders video

Jimmie Dempsey
Last updated: January 5, 2026 8:11 pm
Jimmie Dempsey Published January 5, 2026
Share
SHARE

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth announced on X the expanding punishments for Sen. Mark Kelly, D-Ariz., who participated in a Nov. 18 video that pleaded with service members to refuse illegal orders.

Kelly, a retired Navy pilot — along with five other Democratic members of Congress — released the video amid a barrage of U.S. military strikes against alleged drug-carrying vessels in the Caribbean and eastern Pacific.

The video came 10 days before The Washington Post published an article that called into question the legality of an order that led to the killing of two survivors from the Sept. 2 strike. The article further alleged that in the the opening salvo of the Trump administration’s war on suspected drug traffickers, war crimes had possibly been committed.

“The department has initiated retirement grade determination proceedings under 10 U.S.C. § 1370(f), with reduction in his retired grade resulting in a corresponding reduction in retired pay,” Hegseth said on X.

Trump characterized the Nov. 18 video as seditious and said the behavior of lawmakers was “punishable by death,” according to a Truth Social post from the president.

Hegseth announced that he issued a formal letter of censure framing the case for Kelly’s “reckless misconduct,” which would remain in Kelly’s permanent military file.

RELATED

Kelly, according to Hegseth, has thirty days to submit a response, while the retirement grade determination process will finish in forty five days.

Hegseth has maintained that Kelly’s participation in the Nov 18. video violates Articles 133 and 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, otherwise known as “conduct unbecoming of an officer and a gentleman” and a “general article” that applies to actions which undermine military discipline.

Kelly responded quickly to Hegseth’s tweet with one of his own, citing his 25 years in the Navy and 39 combat missions as proof of his dedication to the United States Constitution — and its First Amendment rights.

“If Pete Hegseth, the most unqualified Secretary of Defense in our country’s history, thinks he can intimidate me with a censure or threats to demote me or prosecute me, he still doesn’t get it,” Kelly said. “I will fight this with everything I’ve got.”

The Pentagon first announced its investigation into Kelly on Nov. 24 and cited, in a social media post, a federal law that allows the Defense Department to recall retired service members to active duty for court-martial.

The Defense Department ramped up its efforts in early December when it revealed that the preliminary review of Kelly had been escalated to “an official command investigation” for “serious allegations of misconduct,” according to an emailed Defense Department statement at the time.

Kelly has publicly stated that the investigation will do nothing to thwart his efforts to hold the Trump administration accountable for their actions and his lawyer provided an email to Navy Secretary John Phelan on Dec. 15 laying out a staunch warning that Kelly would take legal action if proceedings regarding his alleged sedition were to continue.

The U.S. began a military campaign on Sept. 2 targeting alleged drug-carrying vessels off the coast of Venezuela, in the Caribbean and eastern Pacific Ocean, in support of what the Pentagon has deemed counter-narcotics efforts.

As of Jan. 2, the Trump administration and U.S. military have disclosed 35 strikes, killing at least 114 people.

The U.S. military conducted a “large-scale strike” in the early morning on Saturday in Venezuela, capturing President Nicolás Maduro and transporting him to the United States to be indicted for criminal charges New York.

Maduro was previously indicted in 2020 on “narco-terrorism” conspiracy charges.

Riley Ceder is a reporter at Military Times, where he covers breaking news, criminal justice, investigations, and cyber. He previously worked as an investigative practicum student at The Washington Post, where he contributed to the Abused by the Badge investigation.

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

Pentagon announces strike on alleged drug boat in the Pacific Ocean

Pentagon-funded research aided Chinese military, House GOP report says

Control Matrix

Review: KelTec PR57

US, European navies push Lego-like modularity to boost ships’ combat punch

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We Recommend
Virginia Republicans charge ‘power grab’ as Democrat who backed redistricting runs for Congress
News

Virginia Republicans charge ‘power grab’ as Democrat who backed redistricting runs for Congress

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey February 19, 2026
US military assets flock to Middle East amid Iran standoff
Bill Gates Faces Backlash Over Epstein Files, Prince Andrew Arrested
Gordon Ramsay slams ‘stupid’ Ozempic-inspired restaurant menu trend
6 Guns Only IDIOT Seniors Will Buy and Carry in 2026
GOP rips FISA court for tapping ex-Biden ‘disinformation’ lawyer to advise on surveillance
Testing Hollywood: Michael Mann’s Collateral
Guns and Gear

Testing Hollywood: Michael Mann’s Collateral

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey February 19, 2026
Trump Considers Killing “Scores of Iranian Political and Military Leaders”
Prepping & Survival

Trump Considers Killing “Scores of Iranian Political and Military Leaders”

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey February 19, 2026
Emergency scare rocks major cruise ship company as another voyage is canceled
News

Emergency scare rocks major cruise ship company as another voyage is canceled

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey February 19, 2026
Pew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
  • Guns and Gear
2024 © Pew Patriots. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?