By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Pew PatriotsPew PatriotsPew Patriots
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Reading: Cuba’s entire electrical grid collapses, leaving whole island without power
Share
Font ResizerAa
Pew PatriotsPew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Cuba’s entire electrical grid collapses, leaving whole island without power
News

Cuba’s entire electrical grid collapses, leaving whole island without power

Jimmie Dempsey
Last updated: March 17, 2026 8:12 am
Jimmie Dempsey Published March 17, 2026
Share
SHARE

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Cuba plunged into an unprecedented blackout after its entire electrical grid suddenly suffered a total collapse on Monday, briefly leaving roughly 10 million residents in total darkness. 

“At 1:54 p.m. local time, there was a disconnection of the national electrical grid resulting in a complete power outage across Cuba which includes the Havana metropolitan area,” the U.S. Embassy in Cuba said. 

The nationwide outage comes just two days after a large crowd of protesters, fed up with the island’s energy crisis, were caught on camera attacking a local Communist Party headquarters in Cuba, ransacking the building and attempting to set it on fire.

Efforts to restore electricity are currently underway across the island, with reports indicating that power is slowly returning to some areas.

RUSSIAN ‘DARK FLEET’ TANKER BELIEVED TO BE DELIVERING OIL TO CUBA, DETECTED OFF US COAST AMID TRUMP BAN

“The causes are being investigated and protocols for restoration are beginning to be activated,” the Ministry of Energy and Mines of Cuba said Monday afternoon, referring to the island’s disrupted National Electrical System of Cuba. 

Cuba’s electrical grid has grown increasingly unstable over the years due to aging infrastructure, fuel shortages, and economic restrictions that have limited the country’s access to energy resources – including Washington’s long‑standing oil embargo and recent U.S. actions that disrupted Venezuelan fuel shipments, a key source of the nation’s energy.

Power outages have become a frequent occurrence across the country, disrupting water supply, refrigeration and communications.

“Officials in the US gov must be feeling very happy by the harm caused to every Cuban family,” Cuban Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs Carlos F. de Cossio said in response to Monday’s blackout. 

MILLIONS LOSE POWER ACROSS CUBA AS TRUMP SANCTIONS CONTINUE TO FUEL ONGOING ENERGY CRISIS

woman and man sitting at dining table in the dark

Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel said Friday that no fuel has entered the country for the past three months. Since then, electricity generation has relied heavily on a “considerable contribution from renewable energy sources.”

The total collapse of the power grid came just as officials announced updates to their solar panel project in Villa Clara, describing it as a “national security necessity” amid ongoing restrictions on fossil fuel imports under the Trump administration.

“Amid a context of severe energy constraints and a recurring economic lockdown, #Cuba takes another firm step towards electric sovereignty,” the Villa Clara Electric Company said Monday morning. 

“This connection comes at a critical time: Washington maintains severe restrictions on our country’s access to fossil fuels, funding and technology. Betting on renewables isn’t just environmental — it’s a national security necessity.”

As the island continues to face rolling power outages, residents have been urged to brace for significant disruption and unplug all nonessential equipment, “leaving only essential devices powered on until service stability is restored,” the Villa Clara Electric Company said.

Family has dinner during power blackout

Last Saturday, in a rare display of public dissent driven by frustration over widespread blackouts, anti-government protesters in Cuba reportedly targeted a Communist Party office by hurling rocks, shouting “liberty” and igniting large fires at the scene.  

The rally, caught on video, began peacefully in the city of Morón late Friday but escalated into violence within hours, Reuters reported, citing local sources.

Fox News Digital reached out to the White House for comment.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

Manhunt intensifies for armed woman after veteran Massachusetts police officer found dead at home

King Charles to address ‘increasing pressures of conflict’ in speech as Trump criticizes British PM on Iran

Belmont Stakes 2026 at Saratoga Race Course: Best bets, exotics, ‘Pick 5’ for the Grade 1 stakes races

NY prosecutor sidesteps sanctuary law and coordinates ICE arrest of Guatemalan child rape suspect

Video captures chaos erupting at NYC vigil for slain Ayatollah Khamenei as punches fly

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We Recommend

Senator launches assault on illegal immigration gaps as GOP races midterm clock to lock in key wins

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 22, 2026
Log Cabin Republicans removes ‘T’ from LGBT advocacy, says ‘radical’ trans activists are eroding gay support
‘Mutiny’ Review: Jason Statham takes no prisoners in mindless but amusing brawler flick on the high seas
Florida Democrat Senate nominee Angie Nixon insists ‘I’m not a socialist’ after joining DSA
Trump fires back after protester interrupts Myrtle Beach rally for Graham: ‘Mom is voting for us’
Missing New York grandmother found dead near Las Vegas airport after mysterious Bitcoin texts
News

Surprise traveler trapped beneath car for hundreds of miles gets new chance at life

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 22, 2026
News

Trump to honor Artemis II astronauts who traveled farther from Earth than any humans in history

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 22, 2026
News

Mavericks buy out Klay Thompson’s contract, NBA champion set to join Giannis Antetokounmpo in Miami: report

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 22, 2026
Pew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
  • Guns and Gear
2024 © Pew Patriots. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?