By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Pew PatriotsPew PatriotsPew Patriots
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Reading: Pentagon keeps 2 aircraft carriers in Middle East for another week
Share
Font ResizerAa
Pew PatriotsPew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Pentagon keeps 2 aircraft carriers in Middle East for another week
Tactical

Pentagon keeps 2 aircraft carriers in Middle East for another week

Jimmie Dempsey
Last updated: May 2, 2025 6:36 pm
Jimmie Dempsey Published May 2, 2025
Share
SHARE

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has ordered the aircraft carrier Harry S. Truman to remain in the Middle East for a second time, keeping it there another week so the U.S. can maintain two carrier strike groups in the region to battle Yemen-based Houthi rebels, according to a U.S. official.

In late March, Hegseth extended the deployment of the Truman and the warships in its group for a month as part of a campaign to increase strikes on the Iran-backed Houthis. The official said Hegseth signed the latest order Thursday and it is expected the Truman and its strike group warships will head home to Norfolk, Virginia, after the week is up.

Gen. Erik Kurilla, head of U.S. Central Command, requested that the Truman be extended again, according to officials. The San Diego-based aircraft carrier Carl Vinson and its strike group arrived in the region a few weeks ago and are operating in the Gulf of Aden. The Truman, along with two destroyers and a cruiser in its strike group, is in the Red Sea.

The officials spoke Friday on the condition of anonymity to discuss military operations.

RELATED

The U.S. has increased its attacks on the Houthis, launching daily strikes since March 15, when President Donald Trump ordered a new, expanded campaign. He promised to use “overwhelming lethal force” until the Houthis stop their attacks on shipping in the Red Sea, a vital trade corridor.

According to Central Command, the U.S. has been waging an “intense and sustained campaign” against the Houthis. In a statement over the weekend, the command said the U.S. has struck more than 1,000 targets in Yemen since Operation Rough Rider began. It hasn’t provided details on the targets or how the data is compiled.

It has been rare in recent years for the U.S. to have two aircraft carriers in the Middle East at the same time. Navy leaders have generally been opposed to the idea because it disrupts ship maintenance schedules and delays time at home for sailors strained by the unusually high combat tempo.

If there are no additional extensions and the Truman and its warships leave the region next week, those sailors could be back home by next month.

Last year, the Biden administration ordered the aircraft carrier Dwight D. Eisenhower to remain in the Red Sea for an extended time as U.S. warships waged the most intense running sea battle since World War II. Prior to that, it had been years since the U.S. had committed that much warship power to the Middle East.

The Houthis had been waging persistent missile and drone attacks against commercial and military ships in the region in what the group’s leadership has described as an effort to end Israel’s war against Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

From November 2023 until this January, the Houthis targeted more than 100 merchant vessels with missiles and drones, sinking two of them and killing four civilian sailors. That has greatly reduced the flow of trade through the Red Sea corridor, which typically sees $1 trillion of goods move through it annually.

The group paused attacks in a self-imposed ceasefire until the U.S. launched a broad assault against the rebels in mid-March.

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

One of last surviving Tuskegee Airmen criticizes Trump’s DEI purge

Why Master Chief shunned the red tape of realistic military promotions

The 9mm Handguns Almost Everyone Want To Own 2025

Review of Ruger’s LC Carbine in .45 ACP

For some Americans, the end of the Vietnam War is still deeply felt

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We Recommend
Rudy Giuliani injured in New Hampshire car crash after aiding domestic violence victim, spokesman says
News

Rudy Giuliani injured in New Hampshire car crash after aiding domestic violence victim, spokesman says

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 31, 2025
Anonymous researcher exposes politicians’ hidden Spotify playlists, including Vance, Leavitt and Bondi
Canada and India Report Bird Flu Outbreaks
Experts warn AI stuffed animals could ‘fundamentally change’ human brain wiring in kids
NYT reporter: The closest Zohran Mamdani gets to socialism is his belief in ‘treating people more equitably’
Florida Set to Expand Permitless Carry—Constitutional Carry for ALL Handguns?
‘Selective hearing’ isn’t a choice, scientists reveal — it’s a real neurological process
News

‘Selective hearing’ isn’t a choice, scientists reveal — it’s a real neurological process

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 31, 2025
First Look: Canik TTI Combat Smoke Edition
Tactical

First Look: Canik TTI Combat Smoke Edition

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 31, 2025
Review: Springfield Armory Desert FDE XD-M Elite 4.5″ OSP 10mm
Guns and Gear

Review: Springfield Armory Desert FDE XD-M Elite 4.5″ OSP 10mm

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey August 31, 2025
Pew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
  • Guns and Gear
2024 © Pew Patriots. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?