By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Pew PatriotsPew PatriotsPew Patriots
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Reading: NHL deputy commissioner doubles down on Olympic concerns, says players ‘won’t go’ if ice is deemed unsafe
Share
Font ResizerAa
Pew PatriotsPew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
NHL deputy commissioner doubles down on Olympic concerns, says players ‘won’t go’ if ice is deemed unsafe
News

NHL deputy commissioner doubles down on Olympic concerns, says players ‘won’t go’ if ice is deemed unsafe

Jimmie Dempsey
Last updated: December 9, 2025 8:09 pm
Jimmie Dempsey Published December 9, 2025
Share
SHARE

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly has doubled down on warnings about the league’s participation in the upcoming Winter Olympics, saying Monday that NHL players will not travel to Italy if the rink being built in Milan is deemed unsafe. 

Concerns about the size and construction schedule of the primary rink have surfaced in the weeks leading up to the 2026 Games. Last week, Daly told DailyFaceoff’s Matt Larkin that, “If there’s no rink completed, there’s no NHL players going to the Olympics.”

But speaking at the NHL Board of Governors meeting on Monday, Daly clarified that he didn’t believe the construction concerns were “insurmountable.” He did, however, note that safety concerns were another story. 

“We have offered and they’re utilizing our ice experts and technicians and outside providers,” Daly said, via ESPN. “We’re basically moving everybody there to try to help get this done in a way that’s acceptable for NHL athletes. And I’m cautiously optimistic it will be fruitful.”

But Daly added, if the players deem the quality of the ice unsafe, “then we’re not going to play.”

NHL players’ return to the Olympics after more than a decade-long absence rests entirely on organizers’ ability to get the venue built in time – and safely – for the men’s competition, which runs from Feb. 11– 22. 

Local organizers told The Associated Press in October that the main test event scheduled in December for the 16,000-seat Santagiulia arena was pushed to a smaller arena and completion of the main arena will come down to the wire. 

Olympic hockey arena

NHL DEPUTY COMMISSIONER WARNS PLAYERS MAY SKIP 2026 OLYMPICS AMID CONSTRUCTION CONCERNS

But just last week, chief Games operations officer for Milan Cortina Andrea Francisi told the AP that “there is no plan B” and new test events are scheduled until the second week of January. 

The rink itself will also be smaller than a standard NHL rink by more than three feet, the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) confirmed Monday.

“While these dimensions differ slightly from a typical NHL rink, they are consistent with IIHF regulations, match the rink size used at the Beijing 2022 Olympic Winter Games and are fully consistent with the dimensions the NHL requires as part of its Global Series Game arena specifications,” the federation said. “All involved, the IIHF, the Organizing Committee, NHL, NHLPA, IOC and the relevant venue authorities agree that the differences in rink specifications are insignificant, and should not impact either the safety or quality of game play.”

Team USA celebrates

The season will be on pause during the Olympics. If the rink doesn’t meet the NHL’s standards, Daly said Monday that a backup plan was in place. 

“Well, I can’t tell you exactly what we do,” he said. “What I’d say is, I think in emergency-type situations like that in the past, I think we’ve responded appropriately, came up with good solutions and I have no doubt that we’ll be able to come up with good solutions if we’re faced with that.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.



Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

New York state blocks second Long Island school district from adopting transgender bathroom ban

Weight loss tougher with ultra-processed foods lurking in nearly every meal, say experts

GOP congressman clashes with CNN host, tells network to ‘look within’ over heated political rhetoric

Former New York state trooper sentenced to 6 months in prison after faking his own shooting: ‘disgraceful’

Feds launch ‘massive’ investigation after viral video alleges Minnesota daycare fraud

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We Recommend
“Law Must Take Its Course”: King Charles Responds To Arrest Of Former Prince Andrew
Prepping & Survival

“Law Must Take Its Course”: King Charles Responds To Arrest Of Former Prince Andrew

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey February 20, 2026
Alysa Liu explains how skating with joy led to Olympic gold for US: ‘There’s no way to lose’
New study hints at a hidden Alzheimer’s risk factor affecting older Americans
Illinois lieutenant governor seeking US Senate seat releases video of people saying ‘F— Trump’
Ex-Victoria’s Secret CEO’s lawyer caught on hot mic jokingly threatening to ‘kill’ him at Epstein deposition
Grandmother urges voters to abandon party loyalty after defending Trump at Black History Month event
6 mothers who ‘cherished time together’ among victims in avalanche near Lake Tahoe
News

6 mothers who ‘cherished time together’ among victims in avalanche near Lake Tahoe

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey February 20, 2026
Woman charged with animal abandonment after leaving dog tied at JetBlue counter at Las Vegas airport
News

Woman charged with animal abandonment after leaving dog tied at JetBlue counter at Las Vegas airport

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey February 20, 2026
Organized South American crime group burglarizes over 60 high-end Houston-area homes targeting designer goods
News

Organized South American crime group burglarizes over 60 high-end Houston-area homes targeting designer goods

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey February 20, 2026
Pew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
  • Guns and Gear
2024 © Pew Patriots. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?