By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Pew PatriotsPew PatriotsPew Patriots
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Reading: More troops may soon get access to expanded food options
Share
Font ResizerAa
Pew PatriotsPew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Guns and Gear
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
More troops may soon get access to expanded food options
Tactical

More troops may soon get access to expanded food options

Jimmie Dempsey
Last updated: December 16, 2025 9:25 pm
Jimmie Dempsey Published December 16, 2025
Share
SHARE

More service members may soon be able to use their meal entitlements at locations outside of standard dining facilities.

Lawmakers want to expand an Army pilot program to all service branches, allowing troops to use meal benefits on base at more locations, according to a provision in the 2026 defense policy bill.

Army officials were authorized to conduct the pilot program in last year’s defense bill, testing the idea of soldiers using their Common Access Card, or CAC, at eateries outside of the traditional DFACs.

The fiscal 2026 version of the National Defense Authorization Act has been approved by the House and is awaiting consideration by the Senate this week.

The military services run more than 400 dining facilities around the world, most of which belong to the Army. But troops have long complained about the lack of healthy dining options on base, from limited operating hours to stingy portions. Defense and service officials have been working to address some of the root problems affecting the availability of healthy food.

The Army pilot program, called the Flexible Eating and Expanded Dining Initiative, or FEED, hasn’t yet been rolled out across the entire service, according Army Materiel Command spokeswoman Samantha Tyler.

That command’s Food Innovation and Transformation team is currently working through the final approval process with Army officials, she said. They’ve also been working with the Army and Air Force Exchange Service to make sure the initiative delivers the most nutritious and accessible meal options possible, she added.

The Army conducted a two-week limited test at Fort Hood, Texas, in August. During that time, results showed that, when given the opportunity, soldiers used their meal entitlement with AAFES vendors for about 15% of their meals. The soldiers also effectively used the flexibility offered through the program, choosing mealtimes that met operational needs. For example, about 161 lunch entitlements and 30 breakfast entitlements were redeemed after 3 p.m.

During the test at Fort Hood, soldiers could choose from special menus at Freshens, Qdoba, Burger King and Starbucks at the T.J. Mills Food Court, as well as Subway and Starbucks at the Clear Creek Exchange.

RELATED

Under the FEED initiative, soldiers were allowed to purchase multiple meals — breakfast, lunch and dinner — in a single visit, using separate transactions for each, Tyler said. CAC cards could be swiped once per meal type.

“While these initial findings are promising, a longer testing period [is] recommended to capture more comprehensive data and fully assess usage trends across the force,” Tyler said.

“One of the key lessons learned is that the FEED initiative works best as a complement to existing dining options, linking together the entire food ecosystem rather than replacing a portion of it,” she said. “FEED is designed to enhance the campus style dining venues, while ensuring soldiers continue to benefit from dining facilities, kiosks and food trucks.”

Soldiers can currently use their CACs at kiosks and Army food trucks.

Under the Army’s initiative, the number of vendors authorized for CAC use will vary by location. The goal isn’t a fixed number of locations, Tyler noted, but “the right mix of options to close gaps in food access.”

Soldiers will be able to choose from special menus — with items approved by food service experts — that are put together based on affordability within the set meal entitlement ranges, she said.

While the provision in 2025 allowed the pilot program to continue for five years, the 2026 provision authorizes other military services to start their own pilot programs.

It also requires a progress report from each of the services to Congress each year. At the end of the pilot program, the services are to submit a report to Congress on lessons learned and recommendations for improvements.

Karen has covered military families, quality of life and consumer issues for Military Times for more than 30 years, and is co-author of a chapter on media coverage of military families in the book “A Battle Plan for Supporting Military Families.” She previously worked for newspapers in Guam, Norfolk, Jacksonville, Fla., and Athens, Ga.

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

Communities honor West Virginia National Guard members shot in DC

First Look: Sons of Liberty Gun Works Special USMC-Finish Rifles

UNBELIEVABLE Pistol Accuracy with ONE Simple Adjustment

‘Department of War’ rebrand could cost up to $125 million, CBO says

Female drill sergeants to don Army campaign hat in 2026

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We Recommend
Jimmy Lai is risking everything for democracy. We can’t ignore what China is doing
News

Jimmy Lai is risking everything for democracy. We can’t ignore what China is doing

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey February 22, 2026
Turkey’s growing reach in Africa seen complicating US strategy, analysts warn
Sunday Shoot-a-Round # 321
American Culture Quiz: Test yourself on dessert devotion and beachfront buzz
WATCH: Top 5 most memorable moments in American State of the Union history
DHS suspends TSA PreCheck, Global Entry as partial government shutdown continues
DAVID MARCUS: Memo to Bono: Please shut up and go away
News

DAVID MARCUS: Memo to Bono: Please shut up and go away

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey February 22, 2026
Grenell calls ice rink vandal a ‘terrorist’ as federal authorities hunt suspect in toxic attack
News

Grenell calls ice rink vandal a ‘terrorist’ as federal authorities hunt suspect in toxic attack

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey February 22, 2026
Kate Middleton makes first public appearance since former Prince Andrew’s arrest
News

Kate Middleton makes first public appearance since former Prince Andrew’s arrest

Jimmie Dempsey Jimmie Dempsey February 22, 2026
Pew Patriots
  • News
  • Tactical
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
  • Guns and Gear
2024 © Pew Patriots. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?